FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Help for beginners or those looking to join the club
HOW DO I START FENCING?
1) Book an introductory lesson to give fencing a go.
2) After your intro lesson, purchase the beginner package for R1000. You have three months to redeem your four lessons
3) Once you have completed all four beginner lessons you can officially join the club and start fencing.
I'M COMING FOR MY FIRST SESSION, WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
The club provides equipment for beginners partaking in the beginners courses, so please bring the appropriate sports kit listed below:
Good court shoes (tennis or squash is ideal, but trainers will suffice)
General sports clothes
WHERE CAN I GET FENCING KIT?
You can now purchase fencing equipment from CFA by visiting the shop section of our website. We have kept our prices as low as possible to accommodate beginner fencers.
I'M INTO MARTIAL ARTS AND TRADITIONAL SWORD FIGHTING, IS FENCING RIGHT FOR ME?
Although fencing has a long history and evolved from lethal martial arts, today it is more of a sport than a martial art, and requires the same coordination and athleticism as other sports. If you're into the romance of sword fighting then check out Hema.
I'M AN EXPERIENCED FENCER FROM OUT-OF-TOWN, CAN I JOIN CFA TRAINING SESSIONS WITHOUT BEING A MEMBER?
Yes! We welcome all fencers to join our training sessions. Simply pay the R100 drop in fee and fence!
WHY SHOULD I BECOME A CLUB MEMBER?
Club membership helps pay for our venue, staff and equipment. If you sign up to the club you will be able to use our electronic scoring equipment, compete for CFA at provincial and national competitions and take part in our regular training sessions. We have a certain amount of club kit to lend out to beginners until they buy their own.
WHICH DAY IS BEST FOR ME?
1) Tuesdays (15:30 - 18:00) beginners, mostly school age. Coaches: Jacques Viljoen (slots limited)
2) Wednesdays (17:30 - 21:00) open fencing, all levels welcome. Coaches: Misha Galukhin, Jacques Viljoen, Jeremy Saner, Caden Sampson
3) Saturdays (10:00 - 14:00) Footwork 10:00 - 11:00. Open fencing, all levels welcome. Coaches: Misha Galukhin, Jacques Viljoen, Jeremy Saner, Caden Sampson. Lessons start after footwork